Loaded with the ultimate comfort ingredients this baked potato soup is the perfect winter recipe for those cozy nights in.
- 8 ounces bacon (½ a package)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 green onions, whites separated from greens, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 4 cups of chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups of milk
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and small diced
- ½ cup of sour cream (4 ounces)
- 1 cup of shredded The Creamery Monterey Cheese
- Shredded The Creamery Cheddar Cheese for serving
Heat a large pot over medium heat.
Cook the bacon in the preheated pot. Remove the bacon, leaving behind drippings, and place on a paper towel to drain. Set aside.
In the same pot, add the onion, the whites of green onion, and butter. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant.
Add the flour to the onion mixture and combine.
Slowly add in chicken broth, a little at a time, whisking to combine the flour into the liquid evenly. Then add the milk.
Bring the mixture to a boil and add potatoes, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Turn off the heat and mix in the sour cream.
Add the shredded cheese in small amounts, mixing it into the soup.
Serve with sliced green onions and crumbled bacon and enjoy!